Sunday, January 25, 2009

Glassy Lake

written 11.11.08

I am a glassy lake, holding so still, so still
Please wind, don't blow
Please dragonfly, don't land here
Please fish, don't jump today
I need to reflect, deflect
Holding, holding, holding so still, so very still
Teeming, buzzing, glowing, vibrating with life below
Do not, do not, DO NOT betray this truth
Shhh, I'm solid
Shhh, I'm hard
Shhh, I'm impenetrable
I am not water, I cannot be water, I will be glass

I am holding so still, holding my breath, I am so quiet
And my reflection is beautiful
Isn't that enough
Please don't see me, hear me, feel my life inside
Please don't feel my buzz, my glow below
I am glass, I am solid
Please don't disturb this careful surface
Don't reach below to where the life lives

The ripples you make, they take so very long
They take so many heartaches to recede
They take
And they take
And they break

The glass breaks, the illusion shatters
The life holds its breath, the breath holds its life
Waiting, silent, still as I can hold, while the wake moves through
Shhh, I'm solid
Shhh, I'm hard
Shhh, I'm impenetrable
I am not water, I cannot be water, I will be glass again

No comments:

Post a Comment